Wednesday, August 11, 2010

New homestay guests coming

We had a visit by the 2 agents from our Chinese teachers who will be staying with us for 1 month and Don and I were ecstatic to hear that one of the teachers is an ENGLISH teacher! We were so relieved, as the two boys who stayed with us in July knew very little English and it really diminished the quality of interaction between us all. So we feel comfortable that these two teachers' stay with us will indeed be a cultural experience, among other things. The agents, who are from China but now live in Canada, were overwhelmed with our child-filled home and they thought it was great that we are giving the teachers the suite at the end of our house for themselves...a "child-free" zone that they can retreat to whenever they feel the need for some quiet : )

They come tomorrow, right in the middle of Nick's naptime, and Don is working offsite, so Haley is coming to watch the children for me.

Don and I have been working to reconfigure our house. We moved the girls' laptop into the playroom, my laptop up to the desk in the kithen, all of the kitchen stuff upstairs so I can prepare meals up here, and the computer for the t.v. into the basement. It's actually a great exercise because you can do a pretty thorough deep-cleaning when everything is moved out.

This morning Nick slept until 8 and Jorydn is still sleeping at 8:20! Nick has been falling asleep like a dream in my bed everynight...alone...and then I move him into his crib when I go to bed. He thinks that his crib is only good for daytime sleeping, but that the king-sized bed is where he should sleep at night.

Dylan is back in the full-time work mode. He came home Friday night and has been working at Thunderbird everyday since. He might get a day off next week : )

Sean called from Quadra on Sunday and sounds very tired. He gets home next Saturday at 9:00 p.m. and I bet he'll sleep until noon or later on Sunday.

I've gotten into a massive declutter mode and I plan, in the next three or four weeks, to declutter and organize every closet and hidden space in this house. My house looks pretty tidy when you come in but when you open a cupboard or a closet or a drawer you see chaos. For example...beach towels. Yes, we are a large family, but do we need 30 beach towels? Ten beach towels are useful, the other 20 are clutter. Etc. So, if you need beach towels, let me know before I donate them all.

Maybe I should take before and after shots! Good blog fodder.

3 comments:

Pam said...

So glad to hear it's an English teacher!! I was hoping that would be the case.

Funny on the beach towels..haha.
I plan on moving all of our "old" towels into our new trailer we just bought and buying new towels for the house. If you have any thing that might be good to put in a trailer I'll buy it off you!

Val said...

We could use some beach towels :)

Pat and Lee said...

Feeling a little guilty, as I know where you got at least SOME of those beach towels! :)
And so glad that your guests will have some English skills! That will really help!

Love you!