Monday, August 23, 2010

An update from the farm

First and foremost, Sean is home safe and sound from Quadra! He just spent 6.5 weeks there at in the Gunnery Trade Group III division, learning how to be a bad (meaning good) soldier. Canoeing, hiking, camping, shooting, swimming, marching, etc. I think he got taller while he was away. I picked him up from the Vancouver airport Saturday night late and he woke up Sunday morning in time to go for a run and then go work in the trees with Don.

Today, however, wasn't quite so productive. After sleeping until nearly 11 he was woken up by a screaming banshee (me) telling him that he was 5 minutes away from doing his own laundry for the rest of his career in my house. The three loads of smelly camp laundry that I diligently did yesterday were not put away properly but instead were strewn about the floor of his room. That makes me a little angry. But he's a quick one! Five minutes later his laundry was a put away AND his bed was made. After brunch, he and Dylan are off to the mall to do some school shopping. Sean brought home nearly $300 from Quadra and he's anxious to go get some clothes, shoes, and supplies for school.
Patience is at day camp all this week! The local church up the street is running a "Narnia" themed day camp from 9-4 each day this week for kids entering grades 1-5. So, Patience is ecstatic and Jordyn is sad. But so far today she is playing very nicely with Nick, so maybe this little change-up will be good for the relationship dynamics around here. The camp provides 2 snacks a day but the kids are supposed to pack their own lunch and Patience is very excited to be able to use the new lunch pack I got her for school.
Dylan has been working 12-hour days basically since he got home from his California vacation. Today is his 3rd day off since August 6. He's exhausted and wondering what the heck summer is all about if you have to work everyday. But the upside is that he is fully funding his monetary requirements for the upcoming school year. Right now I'm sure he feels like he's working for nothing, but in February I'm sure he'll appreciate having a regular income.
Don has been working 16-hour days. Seriously. He worked all day Friday and Saturday doing a "swing migration" at a client's site, went back Sunday afternoon after doing tree work with Sean, and is back there now finishing up. He is home for a couple of hours in the evening and then works in his office until the wee hours of the morning. It's kind of crazy, really, and in the meantime the tree work is backlogging and weighing on him, but you know how hard it is to turn work down when you're a contractor.
The Chinese teachers are a pleasure to have around. Easy keepers : ) In fact, one of them cooked us authentic Chinese dinner last night and it was GOOD. And all I did was make a pot of rice. So, if you ever have the opportunity to host Chinese adults, try to get at least one who enjoys cooking. That's my bit of advice for the day.
Okay, and now I am off to do some laundry/bed-making/housework/lunch-making/etc.

4 comments:

****** said...

Wow, I'm exhausted just reading your post! Sending up a little prayer for all of you as you begin the school year. We started last Tuesday.

Pat and Lee said...

Yes, I would say that he's gotten taller, too!
I'm sure that he was in shock from his awakening, and sprang into action without conscious thought! :)
I hope that he and Dylan have fun school shopping! When do they go back, anway?
It probably is good to change up the dynamics of the littles, and I suspect that Jordyn and Nick will bond even more during the school year when Patience is in first grade all day.
thanks for the post and the picture!
Love you!

Nathan said...

Excellent blog post mother, I am very happy to hear that my family is staying busy and productive. I cant wait to hear from Patience what she thought of the Chronicles of Narnia camp. Maybe next time I visit I should help out with some tree work of my own....

Haley said...

Wow what a coincidence that Patience is going to Narnia themed camp! This school that conects with my church "Modesto Christian" is doing Narnia for their next play.