Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My new reality

So now I have an adult child living at home (but who is rarely at home) and two children in school full time, and one child in school part-time. This is much easier than my old reality.

This week Patience actually started going to her Grade 1 class with the woman who will be her teacher. Last week the Librarian taught her class, due to the ridiculous way her school treats the first week of school. Her teacher is Mrs. Lang, and Patience likes her because "she has a little song for everything we do." Like when it's time to line up, she sings a song about lining up. Patience loves to sing, so I can see how she would think this was cool.

You're right. I still don't have a picture for Sean starting school. I will get to that. It's just that my mornings have been so hectic that I just haven't thought of it until I get home. He is in Honours English which I'm very happy about. He and I sat and diagrammed lots of sentences last night and we had lots of fun doing it. He's playing volleyball and practices M/W before school and T/Th after school. Not sure about Fridays. Maybe that's when the games are. But so far he's doing well in school and cadets and everything is going just fine.

Sandra and I have worked out a carpooling schedule so instead of making 13 trips to school between Patience and Jordyn, we're each only making 8. I drive every morning, which is what makes my mornings hectic and makes me forget to take Sean's picture. Sandra drives Jordyn to preschool every M/W/F and brings Patience home on T/Th. Which is why I'm not at the school right now, but instead I'm here finally updating my blog, as Heather so kindly reminded me to do : )

This morning after doing the morning carpool I thought I'd be a spectacular mom and take Jordyn and Nick to Strong Start, the drop-in preschool at the school. I even took their picture so you can see them on their "first day of school" but when we got there, there was a note on the door saying Strong Start was closed today! Jordyn cried. The picture above was taken before she saw the note. Then Nick fell on the way back to the car and he cried. I did not feel like a spectacular mother.

But the weather is gorgeous today so when we got home we all stayed outside and I weeded and cleaned up in the yard. It really needed it. Today when Sean gets home from school I'm going to beg him to mow the lawn.

Dylan came home in between his morning class and his afternoon wind symphony rehearsal and mentioned that he already needs another haircut...his last one was only about 3 weeks ago, but when you sport a Fauxhawk, you really need to stay on top of it. He asked if I would pay for his haircut (remember the $900 textbook bill) if he took Nick for a haircut. Nick also really needs one. Well, I can't remember having moved that fast in a long time. I had Nick's shoes on, carseat moved, toys packed, water bottle packed, $12 to Dylan (2 haircuts and a tip) all in about a minute's time and I tell you that's the best $6 I've ever spent. This is why that child hasn't had a haircut in 3 months. Good luck, Dylan! You might choose to pay for your own haircuts after today.

Don is working in Richmond today. He left at 5:45 this morning to avoid traffic. His stress level is rising about the trees and I wish I knew how to do the work down there. And had the time to do it. Hopefully this weekend he can get down there.

Tonight I'm making a Chinese dish with pork and hot peppers. It's so good. One of my favourite things that Jimmy taught me how to make.

And that's my new reality...

3 comments:

Pat and Lee said...

Well, of course now we need a picture of Nick with his haircut!
Great picture of the kids, too. And you ARE a spectacular mother! :)
Love you!

****** said...

Ah, it appears that Frank is finally right, things are getting a LITTLE bit easier.. smile. I love your new reality and I love that Patience has a little song for everything - lovely!

Nathan said...

That blog post made my day, I love to hear that all is well and the fact that Patience is loves to sing really doesnt surprise me one bit.