Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Winding down, and on the road again!

On Thursday we tried to lay low once again so the kids would willingly get in the car the next day : ). Mom and Lee took the girls to the park once again so I could start organizing and packing, but Nick foiled our plans by NOT napping that morning! We got back at him by taking him and his sisters shopping to finish Patience's school shopping. This time we went to Old Navy and got Patience some adorable layering pieces of leggings, skirts, t-shirts, hoodies, and matching shoes (with laces!). I think I'm looking forward to the first day of kindergarten more than she is!

Here are the girls in the Calfornia shirts that Grandma Edith bought them during their shopping frenzy spree.



On Friday morning a miracle happened: Lee and I were able to load everything back into the van including all of the new clothes and toys we aquired during our trip, as well as a ton of kitchen and bath stuff that Mom and Lee were sending home for Nathan! I really didn't think it was possible, but Lee is a master at spatial relations and packed everything differently, and better, than I had on the way down. I think we had even more room going home than we had coming down : )

We headed back to Milpitas to pick up Dad for the drive home. We got there around noon and Edith fed us an absolutely delicious lunch. Then we let the kids swim for 45 minutes or so before getting everyone dried, dressed, and buckled up. The traffic was horrendous in the Bay Area, even at 2:00, so we didn't hit I-5 until 4:30. The kids, thankfully, napped that entire part of the trip. We made a couple of rest area stops and ate our picnic dinner while we drove. The kids fell asleep in their car seats around 9:30, and from that point on, Dad and I took turns driving throughout the night. Mostly he drove, but he was able to nap for around 3.5 hours while I spelled him. We rolled into Val's driveway at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, where I left Dad to visit with Val and her family.

I drove the kids home to Aldergrove just in time to see Don for 15 minutes or so before he had to leave for work for the day. Fortunately, Dylan was home and he helped me unload the van. I spent the rest of the day unpacking, bag by bag. Speaking of bags, I was bagged by the drive home, but stayed awake on pure adrenaline until Don got home that afternoon. I went to sleep at 6:30 and slept 12 hours straight. I woke up Sunday feeling fine!

No comments: