Friday, June 10, 2011

The delicious way to not waste food

In my new-found effort to not waste food, especially produce, I have recently been baking the most delicious cakes. OnTuesday I saved a couple dozen carrots from the chicken coop by peeling and grating them up. I made an amazing carrot cake and still have enough left over to make some carrot muffins later.  Then today I used up six apples which were covered with "bad spots" and made this Apple Dapple cake, complete with the delicious glaze. I didn't bake mine in a bundt pan...I used a 9x13 instead. And I replaced 1 cup white flour with whole wheat flour just to raise the nutrition factor a bit. These past-their-prime fruits and veggies make for some excellent desserts!

2 comments:

****** said...

you are doing amazingly well on your mission! I will update all about ours on Monday. Haley graduates tonight - folks coming for fondue dinner and youth pool party Sunday. Hugs!

Val said...

Well we will be looking forward to dessert then when we come for dinner!