Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The school year wraps up...

No new pictures to post...actually I took a hysterical series of Jordyn trying to diaper herself yesterday but I don't think it's appropriate for the internet.

The weather here has been lovely: dry, sunny or a little cloudy, not too warm. The girls and I spent most of yesterday outside playing, watching the chickens, and working in the gardens (okay, the girls didn't do much gardening).

I got my flower bed weeded and planted with the seedlings I started. I have several volunteer cosmos and bachelor buttons thanks to plants going to seed last year. To those I added Dahlias, Aster, and Lobelia. Oh, and I put a cherry tomato plant out there with the flowers because it gets lovely souther exposure and it's protected from the rain under the eaves. It's a Sweet 1,000,000 that Don and Waneta sent down with the chicken house. They started about a billion plants this year from seed...one of the benefits of being retired and living in a huge house with no children. I'm going to plant my basil in this bed, too. I found out yesterday that I get winded when I bend over from sitting on my garden scoot to pull weeds. I guess my lungs are already getting crowded. Time to switch to knee pads, I guess.

Sean came home yesterday with a sheaf of permission forms and notices for end-of-the-year field trips and programs. Since he's "graduating" there are even more than normal. He'll be going to the high school in a few weeks and taking the Grade 8 math final. If he does well on it he'll skip Math 8 and go straight to Math 9.

This weekend is the Annual Ceremonial Review for cadets. That takes place pretty much all Sunday, and then that evening is Dylan's final choir concert.

Nathan came home last night from drop-in hockey up at the church on the corner, all excited because he was invited to participate in a weekend-long ball hockey tournament in June. The winners apparently get to play a televised game in March. I didn't have the heart to remind him that he won't be here in March. So now I don't know if I should hope he wins or loses.

Dylan took a day-long Foodsafe course for his job at the berry farm across the street, which he begins June 14. He said it was all common sense, and that he could have taken the test at the beginning of the day and gotten a 90%, but after hearing lectures and watching videos all.day.long he actually got a 95%. He was surprised that many of the adults taking the class actually failed.

Sean still hasn't heard whether or not he will be going to summer camp this year. There were 5,000 applications for 1,500 spots so it doesn't look good statistically speaking. I don't know what he'll do with his summer if doesn't get in...he didn't register for summer swimming based on the fact that he'd be gone for three strategic weeks. Maybe I'll put him on Greyhound and let him visit all of his grandparents far and wide : ).

Patience's preschool class has a field trip today. They're walking to a local park (less than 1/4 mile). The weather is miraculously cooperating!

Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

****** said...

Wonderful to catch up on all your newsy posts this week. You are giving me energy!! If a 40 something pregnant woman can do it..... Your hens are fun and entertaining your girls are looking so big and there hair is so cute! Your sons are strapping and above average and your husband is handy and smart - what else could a woman ask for? Love to all....