Sunday, June 01, 2008

I am SuperMom!

Yesterday Don sprayed the trees at Radnai's all.day.long. Which was okay, except that I had a haircut scheduled for 3:45. Nathan and Sean were still at cadets. Dylan was at his friend's house. What's a girl to do? Taking a two-year-old and a four-year-old shopping just wasn't an option for me, so I called Dylan and asked him to come home, which he did. So now he's my new favorite until someone else does something amazing for me : ).

The haircut went great! I did get it cut before our cruise just a couple weeks ago, but Jackie left me with way to much responsibility in the styling of my hair. Like, I had to put mousse in it and blow dry it to make it look good. That hasn't happened since our cruise, so I went in and asked her to give me a no-maintenance cut. Jackie always delivers. It's now shorter, choppier, funkier, and best of all: required only shampoo on a semi-regular basis! She said, "there you go, you're 30 again!" So I tipped her well.

When I got home at 5ish, everyone was home and hungry. Imagine that! So, that's when I went into SuperMom mode. I took inventory of every vegetable in the fridge and made a huge green salad for dinner. We at this along with the leftover potato salad from yesterday. I chopped up the zuke and the mushrooms for sauteeing, but never got around to that...they're now waiting to be our lunch after church.

We have the cadets annual ceremonial review from 1 to 3 (right after church) and then a potluck dinner/awards ceremony right after that. So I had to prepare dinner and a dessert last night. I didn't want to go to the store, so it was back to the fridge to see what could be gleaned. I found the rest of a huge bottle of Ragu-type spagetting sauce, shredded pizza cheese and pizza meat that I was going to use on Friday but it was too warm to bake a pizza (plus I was at the dentist office from 3 to 5...no cavities for Dylan and Patience!). So I cooked some macaroni, made a white sauce to which I added some of the sauce. I tossed the macaroni into the rose sauce and then spread it into two 9 x 13 pans (one for us to take, one for Dylan and the girls to eat here). I spread the rest of the sauce on top, sprinkled it with the cheese and then topped it with the pepperoni, salami, and ham! They look great, and I think they'll taste great, too. They're very kid friendly. Dylan will be able to heat them up for us so we can zip home and pick them up for the potluck.

But my greatest accomplishment was the dessert. I looked for a cake mix in the pantry and found one box of spice cake mix. Not much to work with, and I like to save those mixes for dump cakes. So, after searching the internet, I found this recipe:
http://www.recipezaar.com/20112
It truly lives up to its description of being the moistest and richest chocolate cake ever. And this recipe makes a huge cake or 40 cupcakes. I made the cupcakes because I figured that would be easier than serving cake slices. I made a simple buttercream frosting which was, of course, delicious. How can you go wrong with real butter and powdered sugar?

At the end of all that meal prep, I felt so great knowing that I didn't need to go to the grocery store for a single thing. Plus, my fridge has been cleaned out sufficiently that nothing will die a slow and smelly death in there.

After all that cooking, I starched and ironed the boys' uniforms. I normally make them do it themselves, but when Nathan offered to babysit the girls for 4 hours in exchange for that service, I couldn't resist!

Good news! Sean got into summer camp! We don't know the dates yet, but it will either be three weeks in July or three weeks in August. And he didn't get sailing, because there were so many requests for that camp. He got his second choice, which is gunnery. That trade group teaches you skills to make you a hard-core soldier...lots of bush exercises, etc. I think it's a good fit for Sean.

Bad news : (. Last night at bedtime, Jordyn went downstairs to retrieve a beloved stuffed animal, tripped over something in the dark, and fell and got a fat lip, complete with blood. We got her cleaned up and settled down, but this morning at around 1 she came and got in bed with Don and me. This morning her lip is huge and she's asking me for chapstick : (. Poor baby.

Okay, off to the shower! Have a wonderful Sunday!

1 comment:

****** said...

Wow, and a nice long newsy blog before church!!