Sunday, March 28, 2010

Well, let's see...

I haven't updated in two weeks and you wouldn't believe how many people have noticed : )

Dylan did indeed audition in Victoria as planned on March 13 and came home that evening. According to him, he didn't play his best during the audition. He didn't hit a few of the notes right, and on one song his timing was off. He did okay on the aural test. They told him to play a note on the trumpet while they played that same note on the piano. Then they played a second note (he couldn't see the keys) and he had to play that same note. He got two out of three right. He did well on the sight reading. And his interview went well. My hope is that because he's applying for a Music Education major, as opposed to a Performance major, the minor imperfections in his playing won't matter as much. He has an excellent transcript and glowing letters of reference so I'm hoping he still has a chance. But we won't know until May. In the meantime, he has an audition April 17 at our local university here in Langley. They have a two-year music program. So if he doesn't get into UVic, he'll most likely be accepted at Kwantlen and then after 2 years he can transfer to Uvic. That would actually be easier financially speaking, but he would miss a year in the dorms and I really think that would be a good experience for him.

Nathan went back to Alaska on the 13th after an all-nighter of video games with Alex, who then drove Nathan to the airport for his 5:40 a.m. flight. We do love Alex. He called me shortly thereafter and told me that after his weeklong Tower Climbing course, he was going to stay in Virginia for a 2-week Aids to Navigation Positioning course. This class actually ends on Wednesday the 14th of April and after much "working the chain of command" Nathan was able to get Thursday and Friday off of work so he'll have a 4-day weekend here in the PNW. We're all very excited and thankful that we get to see him again so soon. And, Nathan being the hockey fanatic that he is, realized that he would be here for a playoff game if the Canucks make the playoffs. And then he gambled and purchased FOUR playoff tickets to a game that might or might not happen. Don is excited beyond belief. Naylene has never been to an NHL game before, so this will be a nice introduction for her. And her dad, Steve, was able to secure the afternoon off of work (the game is at 1:00) so he's all set to go, too. So now we're all rooting really hard for the Canucks.

Sean is keeping busy with getting good grades, being involved in the jazz band, cadets, and paintballing. Not to mention Combat Arms. He's also trying to earn money to support said hobbies. So tonight he's babysitting for a couple at church who have three kids. One is a baby. Like younger than Nick. I sure hope everything is going to be alright. He gets to leave on Thursday to go visit my mom and Lee for Easter weekend. Lucky kid!

The Littles are all still fun and happy and healthy. Tonight, my brilliant 18-month-old pounded on the bathroom door until I took him into the bathroom, took his diaper off, and sat him on the toilet. Lo and behold, he produced some "toilet fodder" of the solid variety! I couldn't believe it. So I got him all re-dressed and set him out to have his milk and bedtime t.v. show and before I knew it he was banging on the bathroom door again! So, we went through the process again and once again he was successful in his potty-training attempts. I have never had such a young person interested in the toilet. It might be a fluke. Or maybe he's just the most brilliant baby ever born. Time will tell...

Patience and Jordyn had their second swim lesson with Marianne and Jordyn made great strides in her floating and keeping her face in the water. I was really proud of her. Patience continues to be a mermaid, swimming laps back and forth until she has no energy at the end of her lesson. We signed Patience up for spring soccer.

Well, the San Jose Sharks have figured out how to win again after a dismal losing streak. Tonight they beat Colorado which was a double-bonus, because we want Colorado to lose frequently so that the Canucks can win their division. Don has never been so happy to see the Sharks win!

Don gave me my birthday/mother's day gift early: I, too, am going to visit my mom and Lee at the end of April. The wonderful thing is that I fly back to Seattle the same day that my dear friend Heather, and her daughter Haley, are flying up to visit me for a week. We'll all land within an hour of each other and drive here together. They'll be here for my birthday, Patience's birthday, and Mother's Day!

So, I guess you're all caught up now : )
I'll do my best to keep the posts coming more frequently.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Pat and Lee said...

Yay!! We've missed your posts! Thanks so much for getting us all caught up! And I guess that we'll root for the Canucks, too!
Did Nathan get his household goods delivered successfully?

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Now for some up to date pictures and we will all have our Full House Fix. Thanks for all the wonderful news.
Love,
Dad

Pat and Lee said...

BTW, he's clearly the most brilliant baby, ever! :)