Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Baby News...

I had my first prenatal appointment for this baby today. Here in Canada, you go to your regular family doctor for the first 20-24 weeks unless you have a high-risk pregnancy, which I think is a great way of keeping medical expenses in check. Dr. Morgan did all the regular stuff: weight, blood pressure, blah, blah, blah. He found the heartbeat right away; it was 160 bpm. Then we started discussing who I wanted for an OB/GYN this time around. I told him that I wanted to go see any doctor who would be willing to give me a scheduled c-section. I was kind of expecting a little resistance to this plan, so I had my laundry list of great reasons to have a scheduled c-section all ready. But to my surprise, he said, "I think that's a very logical and reasonable request for your sixth baby, and I think any OB/GYN in the area would agree." So we chose the one who I thought is most amenable to high-intervention births, Dr. Dornan. He's a very nice, grandfatherly gentleman, who has the most lovely Irish accent! So, it looks like I'll be having this baby in late September (they always schedule c-sections for 38 weeks) and now I can start planning and preparing. It's really a huge relief to know that I won't be sitting around waiting for contractions, and that I won't be enduring another drug-free labor. Those suck.

2 comments:

Val said...

congratulations! That will take a load off your mind, and you can fit it in nicely in the list of "Things To Do" Any luck on the name front yet? By the way thanks again for a fabulous lunch! We should do it again soon. Love and Hugs!

Val said...

Congratulations! that will make it nice and easy...Thanks again for lunch the other day! We should do it again sometime! Any more news on the name game? Love and Hugs