Saturday, April 12, 2008

Work Day at the Farm

We spent all day in this gorgeous weather doing outside work and projects. Dylan had "Annie" rehearsal at 11:30, so he was only here in the morning, but the rest of us (minus the girls) worked all.day.long.



When Jordyn took her nap, I took advantage of the time and planted seeds in my "square-foot-gardening" planter boxes. In this planter we have lettuce, carrots, beets, swiss chard, rutabagas, parsnips, bush beans, onions, leeks, and I think some other stuff that I can recall right now. Oh yeah, kohlrabi is in there, too.


Then I moved onto the second box and planted yellow bush beans, more lettuce, and more carrots. The rest of the squares are reserved for broccoli, cauliflower, and basil, which I'm staring indoors.

This planter box never got "sqare-footed" so I planted three rows of corn, lengthwise in it. I'm going to plant squash and cucumbers in between the rows.



This is the next bed that we got cleaned up and ready for planting. This is a Tulip tree with lovely lavendar flowers that will bloom soon. We'll plant flowers in this bed.


We spent the morning emptying our travel trailer, getting it ready for sale. Nathan washed the outside, and I put an ad on Craigslist. So far we have had 5 enquiries about it, with 2 people coming out tomorrow after church to look at it. Of course now Don is afraid that we under-priced it, but I would just as soon sell it quickly than make a few hundred more pesky dollars.



Here is another of Nathan's projects. He cleared away in front of the house and put in black rubber lawn edging, making me a nice bed to plant more flowers. Don did some work on the basement windows, which never have been properly framed after Don remodeled the basement two years ago.



Here is my little bed that I can see from my kitchen window. I planted petunias in it, and I'll also plant some taller flowers behind the petunias.

This bed is opposite the petunias. These are the blueberry bushes that Nathan transplanted a few weeks ago. Right around the corner from these two are three more. That's lots of blueberries!
After such a hard day working, we picked up Dylan at school and then we all went out to dinner in Langley. It was a nice break, but none of us were impressed with our meals. We should have just gone to Pizza Hut like Nathan requested; you can't go wrong with Pizza Hut!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you guys have been BUSY!
Where did you go for dinner that wasn't good??
Did you sell the trailer?

****** said...

Well, I am just geting caught up!! I just borrowed a book on sq ft gardening! Frank and I are going to retrofit the backyard next spring and move our side fence out towards the street as far as we can legally. We will then finally have our long dreamed of garden. This year we are shoving things in wherever we can. I have strawberrys growing off the fence and bush beans in pots and of course tomatoes that did so wonderful last year.