Monday, April 28, 2008

Soup!


Several years ago I heard about this method for making vegetable broth but never tried it until now. The concept is simple: keep a plastic bag or some sort of container in your freezer and place all veggie scraps in there: carrot peelings, mushroom stems, green bean ends, asparagus tops, tomato tops, celery and lettuce bottoms...just stuff you'd normally toss out (or compost). When your bag is full, place it all in a stock pot with seasonings (I used onion powder, garlic powder, and peppercorns). Bring to a slow boil and then simmer for a few hours. Strain. Use in any recipe calling for stock, or make your own soup. I'm going to make a nice veggie and noodle soup, which will be lunch for a few days.

I figure that if I'm feeding my family enough veggies, I should be able to make stock every other week or so.

What are you doing to stretch your grocery dollar?

No comments: