Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Taking the Plunge!

After much debate and discussion Don and I have decided to take the van off the road. Gulp. That means, yes, I will be stuck at home with many, many little children and no vehichle with which to transport them. But that's okay. Because where in God's green earth would I want to go with all those children? Heck, when my parents were here we went shopping one morning and managed to lose Patience twice and Jordyn once and that's when we had 4 adults!

We figure with fuel costing more than $6 a gallon here, and insurance running around $150 each month, we'd do well to just bite the bullet and pull it off the road.

So, how will I manage, you ask? Well, I will be depending on Don for nearly everything. I will text him whenever I need anything, like a gallon of milk, and when he is out running errands or visiting clients he will pop in and pick it up. Sure, it will inconvenience his life, but I don't care it'll be worth the money we'll save.

As for doctor appointments, we'll just have to coordinate our schedules really well. Thankfully, Don's got enough schedule flexibility that he can be home when I'm needed somewhere else. And in a worst-case scenario, I always have the truck that I can drive. We'll be taking that to church as well, since it's the only vehichle that holds our whole family. When new baby arrives, we'll be taking two vehichles to church. But that's okay because three children go to Sunday school so we'd have two shifts anyway. It'll all work out okay.

We discussed selling said van, but found that we'd get so little money for it that it's really not worth getting rid of it. We'll just tarp it and store it and if we ever decide we need another vehichle, viola, there it will be!

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Pat and Lee said...

Wow!! That's huge! And insane!! Good luck with that - I would never willingly give up my wheels! At least you have an emergency vehicle in case you need to get to a doctor, quickly! Are you planning on banking the money you aren't spending on gas/insurance for the van? I'm glad that you aren't selling the van, that way you'll have the option of uncovering and using it if you change your mind!

Love you!
Mom

****** said...

Good for you. It isn't as crazy hard as it sounds. If Frank didn't have to go and take my care to the airport every week and leave it in the parking lot, we would still be a one car couple. Hugs to all.

Anonymous said...

Well I think you are crazy..haha.
I rarely leave the house but not having the option to leave the house would make me want to go out even more. I hope it all works well for you!