Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thursday thoughts

With a title like that, you'd think I'd have something pretty profound to say. But, no. I have things to write but nothing earth-moving.

On Tuesday evening Dylan, Nick, and I attended Kwantlen University's music program information session. Dylan has decided to go to Kwantlen for 2 years and then transfer to University of Victoria instead of heading to UVic right away. This makes a lot of sense financially. I was amazed at the robustness of this program considering it's 5 miles from our home! When we first got there we took a tour of the music classrooms, studios, and the theater where their wind ensemble was rehearsing. Dylan knew a few of the kids who were also attending the session. I think he's really excited about going there. The dean of music told the students that members of the community were welcome to come out and play with the wind ensemble or sing with the choir so of course Dylan was all over that. I had to remind him that he's currently knee-deep in another music commitment right now...he's playing in the pit orchestra for a highschool play. One thing is for certain: that child needs a car a.s.a.p.

Last night Don, Nick, and I went to the new church building to help with cleaning, etc. for this Sunday's grand opening. They asked for volunteers every night this week. On Monday Dylan and Sean went out. We were only able to stay for an hour or so since we wanted to get home to put the girls to bed. But it was exciting. The building is huge.

Lucille is coming up this weekend. She has a 4-day weekend from school so her American mom is bringing her to the border, where I'll pick her up. She'll be here until Sunday night, when Don and I go have Valentine's dinner with Val and Dave; we'll take her and Nathan home on that night so we don't have to hazard the border on Monday (U.S. holiday=horrible border lineup). We're very excited to have her stay again, and it turns out to be perfect timing because I need someone to watch the girls tomorrow afternoon while I have a meeting with Dylan's counselor at school. He needs to decided on grade 12 courses and find out what he should be doing about getting financial aid for university. I'm attending because I have about a 5% confidence rate that Dylan will come home and tell me all of the important information he'll be hearing from his counselor.

Don is working in Vancouver tomorrow. Nathan is coming home tomorrow night. The plan is that Val is getting him after work and bringing him to her house; I'll pick him up there. I think Nathan and Lucille are going to see a horror show tomorrow night...something about Friday the 13th. They asked Dylan if he wanted to go but he politely declined. You tell me who's the smart one.

Well, I'm off to do some housework and laundry. I need to get Dylan's room ready for Lucille among other things.

Ciao!

1 comment:

****** said...

Love love love your new picture!!!! Love the idea of Dylan going and getting his AA close to home - and wow that really does look like a robust program! Love the fact that they require c's or better! Lovey dovey thoughts to all of you for Valentine's Day!!