Sunday, March 22, 2009

This week's menu

The girls made their own veggie soup today!
I did my grocery shopping yesterday according to what I need for this week of my monthly menu. I went to Otter Co-op which was very convenient, but not at all frugal. Even though I had less than 10 things on my list, and most of those were veggies, my bill was over $100. Man, they're not going out of business anytime soon. Sure, I did throw a $12 garlic press into the cart along with a 2-pound block of cheese (another $12), and some juice that was on sale 2/$5, but come on...

I bought two family packs of ground beef ($15 worth) and when I got home I browned about 1/3 with onions and garlic for pasta with meat sauce and then divided the rest between meatballs and meatloaf.

For the meat sauce I added two jars of store-bought spaghetti sauce to the beef mixture. I let it simmer for a while to approximate the flavor of homemade, and then served it with penne. Because Sean wasn't home for dinner and I made too much, I had enough left over for another meal. So I spread it in a 9x13 pan greased with olive oil and topped it with shredded mozarella cheese. Now I have a baked pasta dish for next week's menu...

I made bread crumbs with all of the heels of bread I had laying (lying?) around, and then mixed those in with the remaining ground beef, eggs, seasoning salt, Italian seasoning, chopped onions and garlic fresh from my new press. Half of these I made into meatballs and baked; they are now in a casserole dish waiting for some very yummy garlic honey sauce.

I formed the meatloaf into a 9x13 pan but didn't bake it.

This morning Don and the girls woke up feeling not 100%...I think there must have been a bug circulating on the airplane because Nathan is also not feeling great. I'll have to see how Hailey and Lucille are feeling. So I changed tonight's dish to chicken soup! We were supposed to have that later in the week but clearly we need it right now!

Speaking of Nathan, he is a very happy camper because not only did the Sharks win 5-2 yesterday, but he got his very first tax return! Smart boy is putting the entire thing into a CD. He is going to have one heck of a down payment when he's finally ready to buy a house!

Don and Dylan are working on the trees again (they did yesterday, too) which is great because 1) it's sunny, 2) there's a lot of work to do down there, and 3) Dylan really needs to earn some spending $ for his Disneyland trip coming up in April. He told me on Friday that his plan was to take no money. Zero. The fact that he has to buy his own meals down there didn't seem to bother him. Because he has paid for this entire trip, Don and I told him that we would match whatever $ he could earn up to $100. So, it looks like he'll be going with $200 if he can keep working with Don until he leaves.

Okay, Nicky is awake and requesting transportation and beverage service. I'll be back with more mundane news!

No comments: