Monday, May 18, 2009

Grandma Long

I just received news this morning that my grandmother, Margery Long, of Montana passed away early this morning. She had been in the hospital in a coma for a few days so it is sad but not surprising. I remember when I was in high school in the early 80's and Grandma had a health scare...the doctors were worried that she wouldn't make it through the weekend. She obviously did pull through, and pulled through again and again through the years. She had a long life of 86 (I think) years, full of family and friends, hours of card games, always enjoying the memories she created in her life.

She used to take my sister, Valarie, and me to the farm in Oregon during our summer holidays. For some reason, which I thought I would understand when I was an adult but I still don't, she prefered to drive through the middle of the night. We'd leave about bed time and in the morning we would be there! I was probably about 8 or so and it was my turn to sit in the passenger seat. It was reclined because I was sleeping (remember it was in the middle of the night) and I heard in my subconscious the singing of angels. Okay, of one angel. As I woke further I realized it was Grandma. She sang to stay awake. She had a beautiful voice and she was singing Indian Love Song. I remember having a warm cozy feeling, dozing and listening to that song. I'm not sure why, but that was such a profound memory from my childhood.

We always had a great time with Grandma. When we'd visit her in Cloverdale, we'd pile into the car, go to the local burger joint, and order lunch and milkshakes! and then we'd drive out to Grandpa's chainsaw shop where we'd have lunch together in their travel trailer. I loved Grandpa's shop, except for the brief time in my childhood where I was terrified of lawn mowers. He fixed those, too.

Grandma's hearty laugh and lovely song will fill my memories of her for the rest of my life. She rests in peace now and is joyfully singing with the angels. I bet they're happy to have her!

I love you, Grandma.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Cathi.

Pat and Lee said...

Dear Valarie and Cathi,

You have both created beautiful tributes to your Grandmother. And best of all, I know that you told her that you loved her, and what she meant to you as you were growing up, and as adults. She was VERY proud of you and your families!

I have lots of memories of her too, many of them the same ones that you mention in your blogs - she was quick to break into song, which embarrassed you as teenagers, but you joined right in as you grew up. I loved singing with her, too, and boy, could she harmonize! I remember singing with her over the phone, when they were in Montana the first time.

I'm glad that you had the opportunities to travel to Oregon with her during the summer. I know that she created many great memories for you, and that's one of the most important jobs that a Grandma has! She had no trouble getting you to go to bed when you stayed with her - of course, that may have been due to the candy bar that she gave you to take to bed with you......: )

She was very good to me, and I was proud to be her daughter-in-law, and that you were her granddaughters!

We love you both, and our thoughts and prayers are with you today, and always.

Good-bye, Marge, and God bless!

Mom and Lee