Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

Good morning to everyone in blogland : )

Yesterday remained a cool, rainy day for which we were all so thankful. Even the chickens enjoyed scratching and pecking all day long instead of hiding in the shade of the lilac for most of the day.

Last night Dylan was working and Sean was at a birthday party. Coupled with Nathan's extended absence, that left four of us home for dinner. Patience said, "We have a small family. Look, there are two empty chairs!" Empty chairs and table spaces are unheard of for our family. Usually we have the girls sharing a short end of our 6-person table to squeeze everyone in.

Besides more space at the table, I am dealing with a new phenomenon: leftovers.

Last night, as per usual, I cooked a package of chicken legs ($1/pound on sale at the Co-op) that I had in the freezer since May. Of course it was a club pack...that's how I shop! I have a family of very good eaters and the club pack is just about right for our size family. So last night after dinner, I have 5 whole chicken legs left! That's thigh and drumstick! I was so shocked that for a moment I didn't know what to do with them.

But then of course the frugal side of my brain kicked it into high gear. I shredded the meat off the bones and froze it in two containers: one for chicken Caesar salad, the other for chicken salad sandwiches because I know we're having more hot weather coming soon. With the skin, bones, etc., I made a huge pot of chicken stock. That's what I did with $7 worth of chicken. So this is how other folks live!

What?! You don't find that amazingly interesting? Okay, then I'll talk about the kids...

Last night, as I was dealing with the leftover chicken, Don took the girls across the street to pick strawberries. It had been raining lightly all day but had cleared up in the evening. They've been wanting to pick berries since the season started but of course it's always been way too hot to go. So Don grabbed the girls and a couple bowls and they headed over.

It didn't take Don long to fill his bowl with fat, juicy strawberries. Patience spent most of her time talking with the other customers there. And Jordyn tried to pick the green berries. Apparently green is her new favorite color, so those were the ones she was going after. Poor Don. Anyway, they got home with the goods, and I sliced them up and we put them over vanilla ice cream. Pretty much the best thing I've tasted in a long, long time.

Dylan is enjoying the working life. He just got his first paycheck so that always helps. The owners (Alf and Sandee) have told Don on the sly what a great job Dylan is doing. Of course Dylan is always capable of doing whatever he puts his mind to. And apparently he doesn't displyay any of his attitude problem that we sometimes see over here.

Sean is enjoying his last day of civilian freedom. We're packing him up today, he'll leave around 6:30 tomorrow morning and will be the property of the Canadian Department of National Defense for the next three weeks. Good luck, DND!

Today Don is working in Vancouver all.day.long.

Here is a very sweet picture that Don took last night when I was reading the girlies a book:

Which reminds me...I get to have my hair done tomorrow morning! Woohoo! A cut and color, how lucky am I? I'll post pics when it's done. I know you're dying to see it : )

1 comment:

Ck said...

looks like Mom's lap space is at a premium these days!