Saturday, October 02, 2010

Do-it-yourself convenience food

This morning while Don and Sean were are working on the Christmas trees and the Littles are playing happily together, I made an investment in my week ahead! I bought some grilling steaks at Co-op because they were on sale when I did my shopping this week. I would have bought any cut that was on sale, because as I have learned from my Chinese guests, it doesn't matter what the cut is when you're just going to cut into a zillion paper-thin bite-sized pieces! Just buy what's on sale!

I took the larger of the two steaks and, after cutting it as described above, added it to a gallon-sized zip-loc bag along with about 8 small peppers and 1 small onion, all sliced into strips. I added about 1/4 cup of taco seasoning and then smushed it all up together. This will be fajitas one night this week. All I'll have to do on that night is make up some tortillas and cook up this wonderful melange. I figure fajitas out at a restaurant for a family of 7 would easily cost $100 if you add in drinks, tax, and tip...homemade fajitas at home is going to be less than $10.

With the smaller of the two steaks, I again sliced it up thin and then mixed it with the last of some barbeque sauce in the fridge, some peppers, onion, and fresh ginger. This will make a delicious meal of barbeque beef over rice, and the leftovers will make a nice lunch for Don while he's working onsite.

It took me about 30 minutes to prepare these dishes, and that's because I had to stop several times to deal with the kidlets. Time well spent considering I have two nights of convenience food : ).

No comments: