Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Never a dull moment!

So yesterday afternoon Waneta and I were happily making a delicious dessert with the girls when the phone rang. It was Dr. Morgan. He was calling to let me know that when Don took Nick in on Friday with that goopy eye, he had taken a culture and sent it off to the lab. The microbiologist at the lab saw something unusual so he called Dr. Morgan. At home. On his day off. While the culture was still in a preliminary stage, he thought it was looking suspiciously like meningococcus.

So, Dr. Morgan, at home, on his day off, called me and told me to take Nick to emerg to get two intramuscular antibiotic shots just to be on the safe side. Then he called the emerg triage nurse and doctor on call to grease the skids for our arrival there. Did I mention he was at home on his day off?

I'm still not cleared to drive. Thankfully Dylan was home and was able to come to the hospital with us. Thankfully Waneta and Don were here, they were able to keep the girls and finish up and serve dinner!

Nick seems fine. He doesn't appear to have any symptoms of meningitis, but I'm glad the health care system is so proactive. He does have two sore thighs : (
And I'm so, so, so thankful for Dr. Morgan. We sat around last night thinking of all the wonderful things we could do for him to show our appreciation of his consistent superior care. This is definitely not a one-time going above the call of duty. There was the time he let me bring Patience to his office at 5:00 on a Friday so he could stitch her up instead of us spending several hours at emerg. The list goes on and on.

I'm expecting a call from him today with results from the culture. I'll post when I know.

2 comments:

Pat and Lee said...

Yikes!! I'll be watching for your update! Yes, thank God for Dr. Morgan - he's absolutely the best!!
And also waiting for the report on your doctor's visit!
Love you, lots and lots!
Mom

Pam said...

Whoa! I hope Nick is feeling OK.
How great Dr. Morgan takes such good care of your family.