Thursday, September 28, 2006

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a little off-the-wall, especially when it comes to doing things the old fashioned way and to saving money (usually those two go hand-in-hand).

My latest frugal homemaking endeavor is making my own laundry detergent. It's easy, and the stuff works just as well as the commercial stuff! Now, if you don't have five children and a farmer husband, you might not do as much laundry as me, so you might not need an inexpensive althernative to Tide or Cheer. But if you're interested, here is the link:

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

One of the things I like best about it is that there's no scent. I find the commercial detergents too smelly!

Now, if you're a fabric-softener type of person, here's a recipe for that, too!
6 cups water
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups hair conditioner
Mix together (don't shake...it'll foam) and use 1/2 cup per load. If you get the hair conditioner at the dollar store, this is dirt-cheap. The conditioner helps with static cling AND gives the clothes a mild scent...so chose a conditioner that has a smell you like!

One more thing! If you have an automatic dishwasher, you don't need to buy that expensive detergent! Just use 1 part washing soda, and 1 part borax (both are ingredients for the laundry detergent, too).

That's it for right now! I'll post later with exciting news and adorable pictures : )

No comments: