Sunday, September 03, 2006

A Quiet Sunday Morning...

Welcome to my world. I'm blogging my life for the benefit of myself, my children (historical value, eh?), and my friends and family who are interested in my family but who I can't keep up with due to lack of time!

I'm living on a family-run Christmas tree farm in Aldergrove, BC, Canada. This farm has been in my husband's family for more than 80 years and I'm grateful to be able to raise my children on the same homestead where their father and grandfather were raised.

I've been married to Don for 16+ years. He works as a computer consultant part-time, and a tree farmer part-time! Yes, it's an interesting combination. We have five incredible children.

Our oldest is Nathan, who will be 17 at the end of this month. He's highly athletic, personable, comical, and helpful. His interests are basketball, hockey (the Sharks specifically), sea cadets, Nintendo, acting, 4-H, and his yellow lab Storm. He's going into grade 11 and has an incredibly difficult first semester class-wise. He works for my husband on the farm and for the berry farm across the street. He's a good, hard worker, dependable and strong.

Our second son is Dylan, who is 14. Dylan's passions are music, speed swimming, Nintendo, and 4-H. He's a brilliant student going into grade 9. Dylan is compassionate, friendly, sensitive, and intelligent. He plays the trumpet, trombone, and clarinet, and sings in two choirs at school...a fun one and a very serious one! Dylan has gone through a serious growth spurt this summer...he's now taller than I am!

Our youngest son is Sean, who turned 11 in January. Sean is an incredible competitive swimmer. Watching him is like seeing poetry in motion. Given enough time and money (of which we have neither) Sean could be a serious Olympic contender. But for now he can just continue to dominate the summer swim league! Sean starts grade 6 at our local public school and is a good student. Sean has a sunshiny personality and loves swimming, Nintendo, percussion, and his 4-H project, Frodo the Rabbit.

Now, onto the girlies! Patience is two and a bit! She is the center of attention and apple of our eyes. It's amazing how she can wrap her older brothers and her dad around her little finger but she clearly has that all under control! She's beautiful, funny, charming, and, well...two. She is learning to use the toilet right now and it doing well, although it's still an ongoing lesson.

Our littlest daughter, Jordyn, is 7 months old and growing and changing too quickly. She's our last, so it would be nice if she could be a baby just a tiny bit longer but, no, she's racing toward toddlerhood as fast as she can go. Just this morning she went from laying on the floor into a sitting position! And then she looked up at me with such a proud smile! She knew she hit another milestone toward independence. Jordyn has turned into a noncuddler. She likes to be held, but insists on facing outward. She has many tendencies that her brother Sean had as a baby...he just couldn't wait to grow up! And that is my lovely family!

No comments: